Saturday, December 18, 2010

Soup's On!

Tomorrow night is the last night for the Advent Hymn study and I need to get a pot of soup ready. I am planning my favorite bean and sausage soup. Earlier in the day I soaked a bag of navy beans in boiling water for 5 minutes and then let them cool to room temperature. This evening I transferred them to a crock pot with a large box of chicken soup stock. And I added a bunch of carrots slices.
Then I added a minced onion, 2 cloves of garlic and a healthy amount of kielbasa till I decided I had enough that could feed 8-10 people for class tomorrow night. At that point it looked like I needed more stock.
So I added another box.
A few sprinkles of oregano and a dash of basil before stirring, putting the lid on the crock pot and setting the whole operation into cook down mode on the lowest setting overnight. Tomorrow I'll puree a 2 cups of the chunky stuff and stir it back into the soup. A loaf of pumpernickel bread from the local bakery and things should be ready for a hearty meal to feed the body while we examine "Hark the Herald Angel Sings" to feed our spirit and soul.

No comments: