Saturday, January 29, 2011

It's Kansas Day!




I've probably been in the state of Kansas on three different days in my life. However, I have several wonderful friends; Angela, Ashlee, Jeana, Joy, Peninnah each a native Kansan and a great ambassador of their home state. Each year on January 29, Kansans celebrate the day they were admitted to the Union in 1861. (If you are doing the math, you realize that the US has been blessed with Kansas as a part of the country for 150 years now!) So, just how does Kansas celebrate their day? Well, I've heard there are special t-shirts and a commemorative stamp for today, but I don't have any plane tickets to make the celebrations, so I decided to share some of the goodness of the Sunflower State by making special treats from a recipe I found on the internet for the class I am adjunct teaching called Sunbutter Scothaceroos.
I liked that the recipe involved Sunflower Seed Butter, a food product that has become a favorite of mine in recent years. Without a doubt, I prefer it over peanut butter. The recipe also called for chocolate and I was able to incorporate my commitments to support fair trade chocolate growers who practice sustainable farming methods and therefore fits into the theme of Environmental Science which is the course I am teaching at Somerset. (Some time next month, I hope to blog more about fair trade farming and my commitments to specific chocolate products.)
Bring 1 C corn syrup and 1 C sugar to just a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 C sunflower butter till smooth and then add 6 C rice crispy treats. Press the mixture into a greased 9x11 pan and let cool.
Empty the bag of butterscotch morsels into a microwave proof bowl.
I melt mine in 1 minute intervals on 80%
Stir it till smooth
I added a couple of tablespoons of cocoa powder

And suspected that it was a little thick to spread evenly, so I hedged bets and added a little bit of Crisco and heated it again, this time for 20 seconds on 80%.
Good call

It spread very nicely on the rice crispy surface

If I could make this a scratch and sniff photo, you'd be running to the store for your ingredients!
I let them sit on the counter overnight and got up this morning to cut and wrap them in wax paper for class this afternoon. I made one fatal error: instead of cutting them into 24 bars in the pan, I cut 18! My class has 20 enrolled students and I know one person will be missing today due to a funeral. Either two students will earn gold stars for sharing or I'll find out I have a diabetic who will pass on the snack I've prepared or I'll have another student who won't be able to make class for some reason or another and things will work out perfectly! Regardless, I managed to cut off a sliver and sample - I think I better leave now for class and buy a couple gallons of milk!

1 comment:

Amie V said...

those look delicious! i'm totally stealing this recipe.