Thursday, January 20, 2011

Sometimes the Holy Spirit moves like that

For the last year or so, I've been trying out a host of different books on the market for my daily devotions. It's been my way of saying that I am familiar with what's published in the marketplace as a person concerned about Christian formation. But just prior to the New Year, I started feeling the nudging of the Holy Spirit to go back to a daily pattern of Bible reading familiar to many Christians. For almost fifteen years, it was my practice to read through Psalms and Proverbs about once a month. It isn't really all that hard if you consider that there are 31 chapters in the book of Proverbs and 150 chapters in the book of Psalms. That means that it is reasonable to read a chapter from Proverbs each day of the month and 5 chapters from Psalms. I say in about a month, because sometimes I would parcel out Psalm 119 into two or three day reads. But once I got to Psalm 150, the next day I would return to the beginning of the book and read through again. Proverbs is a little easier to keep track of if you read the chapter corresponding to the day's date. For instance, read Chapter 1 on the first day of the month and Chapter 2 on the 2nd, and so on - I am sure you get the idea.

Well, even though I felt the nudging of the Spirit for a few weeks, I didn't crack open Proverbs this month in obedience. Then, Sunday morning, the pastor introduced a sermon series on Proverbs and encouraged congregants to read through Proverbs with handy dandy study sheets she was providing in the worship bulletin. And even though I sensed the Holy Spirit was now spiritually smacking me in the head to me to get back into my former discipline of scripture reading, I still managed to slack off for a few days....the kids came for a sledding overnight, I wasn't feeling well, there was an ice storm, yadda, yadda, yadda. All kinds of excuses - until till last evening, when I finally sat down, opened up my devotional Bible and got to reading Proverbs 19. When I finished, I still felt a little like a slacker, because for me, my devotional reading best happens in the morning. I knew there were additional measures I needed to take.

So, this morning, instead of reading the little devo book I was working on before Advent interrupted me from finishing it, I opened up my Bible and went to Proverbs 20 and started reading and when I got to verse 5, it literally jumped off the page at me:

"Counsel in the heart of man is like deep water,
But a person of understanding will draw it out"

The verse spoke to me on a deep personal level about the studies I have been pursuing these past years, the dissertation I am hoping to be green lighted on this spring, the academic struggles and the lessons I have had to learn on the PhD level. It cut me to the core and I felt God's presence in a mighty breathtaking way.

Then, this afternoon, a friend of mine, JD Walt, the chaplain at Asbury Theological Seminary, reflected in his daily blog on the very same verse. His take was different than mine and you can read it here.

What is so profound to me this evening is the realization that reading Scripture for my daily devotional puts me back in the middle of a community of persons to whom I belong even though sometimes we don't share the same geography. That has been very hard with the devotional books I've been reading on my own with an eye towards 'reviewing' them. I've been isolated, ascending the very ivory tower I don't always want to occupy. I'm very determined that my one-day-done-dissertation will mean something to the church as much as it means to the academy. Reading Scripture, especially my old practice of Proverbs and Psalms, returns me squarely within the Body of Christ and connects me to the local community with whom I worship. It also has the serendipitous way of connecting me with friends who live more distantly. and offers me a greater perspective than I can get on my own. I love it when Bible reading and Sunday liturgy does that. It reminds me that I belong to something bigger than myself, the local congregation and even the United Methodist denomination. I am a part of God's church at work in the world and a witness to Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit. And being connected makes me far more effective than when I try to operate on my own - even in my devotional readings.

1 comment:

Amie V said...

i agree, with most all of this. it is easy for me to get out of the habit of just regularly reading scripture, but i feel the same ways when i return to it--being in community with persons current and long past, those of my doctrinal beliefs and those of others, etc. i've been trying to get myself organised to start again, too, with all the upheavals in my life... maybe i'll start tomorrow. ;)