Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Dinner with a theological celebrity

Tonight I had dinner with Margaret Miles. She's something of a theological celebrity and had lots of interesting things to share about revisioning historical theology during the Sprunt Lectures at Union-PSCE. Dinner was hosted by the seminary president for faculty, staff, and students which made for an intimate setting compared to the crowded sanctuary she commanded for her formal lectures. She took questions and comments from the audience and asked questions of her own to the seminary community and she challenged everyone in the process.

I've had dinner with other celebrities in the theological world before - but that was long before I started this blog - and many of those celebrities I consider to be friends and mentors beyond the professorial role through which I met them. Still, it was good to be at this dinner and be able to hear Margaret speak in person after reading some of her books for my comprehensive exams. It is nice to realize that theologians are first and foremost human - despite the celebrity status that many of them achieve within the church and/or the academy.


No comments: