Saturday, May 1, 2010

My Old Kentucky Home

I might be Jersey proud, but I confess to feeling a little homesick for Kentucky right now. I would just love to be there this weekend in particular. Not only is it Derby Day today, but last evening my friend Matt was ordained into the Anglican Church and on Monday my friend Josh has a milestone birthday. I talked with my friend Esther on the phone earlier today and I just wished I could have apperated or had a Tardis at my disposal to make a quick trip there and back all in one day to spend time with Mattie and Maria and Anthony and Alfred and...(I think you get the idea)
Actually, New Jersey and Kentucky have loads of similarities. While I lived in Kentucky, when people would find out I was from New Jersey they'd ask, "Have you ever seen country like this?" thinking I was from the concrete jungle. Then, swallowing every bit of Jersey attitude to keep from offending the folks, I'd say, "It is pretty, but not only is Jersey home to more thoroughbreds AND the Olympic Equestrian Training Ground (which is near my home church where Jacklyn Kennedy Onasis would ride her horse) but our horse fences are white". Honestly, I think the biggest shock I had driving into horse country in 1998 was discovering that most of the horse fences were coated in creosote making them appear almost black against the fields of Kentucky bluegrass.
Don't get me wrong, Central Kentucky IS gorgeous to drive through and soak up the landscape. And there are other subtle differences too - compared to Kentucky's thousands and thousands of acres of horse country, New Jersey's real estate dedicated to horse farms amounts to a postage stamp! You can literally drive for hours in the Kentucky country side on roads that rival the wildest roller coasters and see nothing but horse farms. If you drive that long in New Jersey seeing nothing but horse farms, you are probably driving your car to the mechanic's station.
The funny thing about the white rail fences here around The Homestead is that they are more likely to be enclosures for llamas, alpacas, and goats. No fooling. However, none of those animals wanted to be out in the ninety degree heat we are experiencing here today. But the two therapy horses down the road were out in their pasture (with their naturally weathered fence) and ready to pose for me when I drove by. I needed to go get some more necessary sugar for the Mint Juleps mom and I are fixing to have come post time. I'm including the recipe she and her sister got at Churchill Downs for Mint Juleps below if you want to mix one up before post time at 6:24 EST. And with a few notes from Andy (one of my adopted younger brothers) I've posted the recipe for the best cornbread ever from deSha's a great restaurant in downtown Lexington - so you can have it ready for next year's run for the roses - or any other meal you want to enjoy it with between now and then!

Kentucky Mint Julep
2 C granulated sugar
2 C sugar
handful freshly packed mint
crushed ice
Kentucky Bourbon

Bring sugar and water to a roiling boil. Cool and refrigerate in jar with a lid (submerse jar in an ice bath if you are determined to make them in the next hour) Take a sprig of mint, place in bottom of julep cup. Add crushed ice to top of glass and bruised mint leaves. Pour in syrup - leaving space to add 1 oz. of Kentucky bourbon. Garnish with a sprig of mint and a straw. ENJOY!


deSha's Cornbread
(with honey butter)

3 C self-rising cornbread
1/3 C sugar
6 eggs
1 1/2 C vegetable oil
3 C sour cream
2 2/3 C cream style corn

Combine first 6 ingredients in order listed and mix well. Pour into greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes (Andy's sidenote: always takes longer than that for me, like 50 minutes). Makes 12 squares of cornbread. (Another sidenote: at the restaurant, they always bring it out in a smaller, deeper pan, like a loaf of bread)
Honey butter:
Mix 1 1/4 cups softened butter with 1/2 cup honey and serve with warm cornbread

1 comment:

Amie V said...

there are times i miss kentucky, too. it's not so different from my tennessee home, or from parts of my current scotland home. but it is a gorgeous place, and i made some amazing friends there.