Tuesday, May 11, 2010

tea, earl grey, hot


I don't limit myself to January 1st for 'new year's resolutions'. I use all sorts of time markers, one of them being my birthday, to try to institute change in my life. During the next year of my life, I am hoping to reduce the amount of sugar and sweeteners I add to and use in my beverages - namely tea. I know plenty of people who gave up their added sweeteners cold turkey - one of them is my dad - and I am hoping to do the same. So today, I took the sugar free plunge and drank my tea sans splenda - all day - even the 5 o'clock cuppa I fixed myself in an effort to find a second wind to get me through the day.
Why am I sharing this information? Because sometimes I find just letting others know what I am attempting just keeps me more faithful to my efforts to accomplish some goals. After several false starts at giving up sugar/splenda/sweetners I thought I'd try a new strategy in an effort for better results.

2 comments:

Amie V said...

wow. good for you. i'm considering going back to sugar from splenda, because i've been told it can add to depression and memory loss, both of which i'm doing well enough with on my own. ;) you can do it!

and i love the jean-luc picard quote in the title. he's the reason my dad started drinking hot tea at all: if earl grey tea is good enough for cpt. picard, it's good enough for me, he said. =D

tammiemg said...

I'm not surprised to hear that about splenda. I did consider trying stevia which is extracted from a flower in S. America - but I've really always admired those folks who drink their coffee black. So many of them just gave up the sugar (and cream) once upon a time and I decided I reached my line in the sand. If I can manage this goal in a few months, I'll have to think about kicking the diet soda habit, too - but not yet!