Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Feels like a Friday!

It's almost just like I pictured and anticipated it yesterday! I had a busy day running around the district, handing in books, grade sheets, and had sessions with two separate students. At about 3:30 I turned in my time sheet to the Director of Student Services, and I was done, done, done with the 2009-10 school year!
I drove back to The Homestead, fixed myself a cool adult beverage to enjoy on the porch, grabbed my camera, book, and to-do list and sat down with my feet resting up on my Pilates ball. It isn't like I have absolutely nothing to do - I need to read for a Bible study I am attending this evening, get this blog entry done, and organize the to-do list with things about going to libraries, retrieving books to read for my dissertation, projects I hope to get done, and then go back inside and deal with some emails about summer tutoring and adjunct teaching I will be doing after the 4th of July.
But for right now, these couple of hours, I am in the sacred moment of excitement that comes with both completion and anticipation. I do the happy dance that celebrates the high school graduation of two extraordinary young women I had the pleasure to work with the last several months. I revel in the knowledge that the last 10 months of my involvement in public education has come to a satisfying and temporary close for the summer hiatus. (It's been a hard year and a long one for those involved in public education here in New Jersey - but that is a story for another blog entry by someone else.) And I begin to make plans for the summer months hoping that the change of pace will restore my energy packs even as I set about goals I wish to accomplish.
Since kindergarten, I've only had three years where my life wasn't ruled by a school calendar. I think that qualifies me to reliably testify that regardless of the side of the desk one occupies, there is just nothing that feels like the last day of school. It is simply bliss.

1 comment:

Amie V said...

that's been the hardest thing for me about this no-course-work, all-writing phd process: there is no break. it just never ends. even if it never really ends in a course-work phd, there's still a 'last day'. does that make sense?

i'm so glad you made it through and are now enjoying it! =D