Saturday, June 19, 2010

She always helps me save money (by spending it!)



I've mentioned before that I got a sweet deal when my brother married Lorraine. I've also discussed that we both enjoy shopping at Talbots. And the nearly eleven years that the two of them have been married, hardly a shopping excursion goes by in which we don't discover all sorts of bargains in which I do all the buying and she does all the looking. Lorraine's been talking sales since I returned from NC last weekend and told me about some good deals in the current L.L. Bean catalog. I made my little wish list earlier in the week but held off placing it b/c we suddenly had an opportunity for our own expedition and I just knew if past history held true I was going to find some pretty good bargains. And I did. I found two dresses at the Bass outlet that were almost replicas of two dresses I earmarked in the catalog - and at 70% off their original price, I saved more than $25 on the deal had I ordered the similar dresses from L.L.Bean. As we were leaving the dressing room she let slip that she really thought I should have bought a dress I saw on sale at Talbots earlier. I shrugged her off and told her by not buying it today I was sticking to my budget better.
By the time we returned to The Homestead late afternoon with my purchases I'd forgotten about the Talbot dresses until Lorraine mentioned to my mother that I had passed up the deal of the day as she was willing to kick over to me her b-day coupon that could be used during the month to bring the sale price down even lower. So, off we all went to Talbots where they both convinced me that I had to buy a 2nd dress of the same style b/c the 2nd sale garment purchased was discounted an additional 50%. The dress looks great, I'll have them as a part of my wardrobe for years to come, and the price of both dresses was about 60% cheaper than the original price of one dress - so I really did save by spending!
Wearing one of the earlier purchases I made
as I made the purchase of the Talbots' bargain.
Thanks, s-i-l, it was a fun day!

1 comment:

Amie V said...

my sister is good/bad about that, too. =D