Wednesday, June 2, 2010

I should have known better

Back in April I mentioned that I was on the hunt for some decent Mexican food here in NJ. I've been to a couple of places with my sister-in-law, but nothing has hit the spot so far. Recently, I've been on a kick for fresh pico de gallo - but made by the local grocers. I know I could make it myself - but honestly, chopping tomatoes is NOT my forte. In Richmond, there was a really great local supermarket called UKrops that sold some very tasty pico de gallo they made fresh every day. Unfortunately, even if I were in RVA right now, I doubt I could get any - UKrops sold the franchise to a larger market chain several months ago. Believe me, deep sadness is known among loyal UKrops customers. Over the weekend, I heard on the radio that a local market was selling fresh salsa and thought I'd give it a try. As I approached the 'prepared produce' selection I realized the salsa being advertised was not prepared by the grocers, but by a distributor located here along the East Coast. Despite the fact that it was made more than a hundred miles away, I decided to check it out as it was the only game in town. It isn't exactly bad - but it didn't make the margin of "good" either. My first clue should have been that the tomatoes weren't really really red, but a deep shade of pink and the lack of cilantro was very disappointing. So the search continues.....

1 comment:

Amie V said...

that is very sad...

when in stirling last weekend, we four girls ate at smiling jack's, a local tex mex place. it was okay. their 'refried beans' that came with the fajitas consisted of a small ramekin full of cold mashed baked beans. seriously. and no free chips and salsa. and their salsa is sweet. like mango chutney sweet. and the vegetable fajitas were made from a frozen stir fry pack, i'm pretty sure.

yet for scotland, it was not bad mexican. *sigh*