Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Road Trip with Dad Pt. II


Well, it is not 5:00 yet - but I figured these shots of Wayne, Maine
are a little more picturesque than what I'd see at 5PM on the NY State Thruway.


We arrived last evening to the Folks' place after what Uncle Butch figures was approx. 850 miles of driving and riding between the two of us for the first day. Despite the fact we were all up with the sun before 5AM, (obviously, I didn't think to take pictures at the am hour) we enjoyed a lazy morning and a great breakfast cooked by Aunt Jan. We not only took a walk through the woods up at their place, we also went strawberry picking before we even thought about repacking the truck to transport the perishables home.
On the way to the fields, I was regaled with the stories of Tubby's: Wayne's ice cream parlor that is an attraction for miles and miles around. It's a relatively new establishment (my last visit was 8 years ago) that is doing great business year round. If you've known me for any length of time, you know my penchant for good, homemade, or fresh ice cream. So I managed to delay our departure just long enough for the eatery to open at 11:00 and convince Dad we needed to get ours "to-go".

So while he waited for our order, I wandered around and got a few shots of metropolitan Wayne before we said our farewells, loaded ourselves into the cab of the truck, and pointed it homewards to get the last leg of 500 miles done and over with. We managed not to eat the lobster roll or the ice cream till we hit I-95 once we were off the roller coaster hills and curves of the state highways.
Even if it was an all too-quick trip (1,350 miles in 38 hours) it was nice to get away and see people and places I haven't seen in years. Isn't that what road trips are all about, anyway?

1 comment:

Amie V said...

it is! yay for road trips with family, for good food, and for picturesque towns! =D