Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The fragile green of spring

During my first year of seminary, I took a road trip with several friends during Reading Week, a kind of Spring Break for seminary students (for the record, we did not do lots of reading, but visited New York City, Philadelphia, and the Jersey Shore using my parent's place as home base). The route from Kentucky to New Jersey took us through West Virginia during the last week of March. Someone in the car wondered aloud if there would be leaves on the trees on our return trip. My friend Laura said quietly, "I think so. The fragile green of spring has arrived". I never heard that phrase before, but every spring afterwards I think of her and that comment when I see the first bright green buds appear on the grey brown branches of trees and bushes.
As you can see the 'fragile green of spring' is visiting upon the lilac bush that was snow covered 4-6 weeks ago. The grass is also incredibly green for this time of year. Typically, grass this green does not happen till the end of April, but thanks to the deluges we received a little more than a week ago followed by 5 sunny days with temps in the 60s and 70s, the grass here in NJ is positively verdant. We still have plenty chilly days to come and I am sure I will wonder if I live in Ireland on overcast days like today.

The two lilac bushes in the emerald green lawn

Forsythia are also budding and blooming
depending upon how much sun they receive during the day

Fragile green on the bushes by the
stream as well as moss on the rocks.

1 comment:

Amie V said...

the many many hues of spring green is one of my favourite things about being here in aberdeen. i never really noticed spring like i do here, when the winters are so very long and dark.