Friday, March 26, 2010

Good Pizza - NY style - but made, served & eaten in Jersey



If you have spent any appreciable amount of time with me since September 1998, you know one of the things I missed soon after moving out of New Jersey was a good slice of pizza. For someone raised in New Jersey, a slice of Pappa Johns or Dominos does not count as pizza in any measurable sense. While I've enjoyed wonderful dining experiences visiting "second city" at Lou Malnati's and Giordano's, the Chicago deep dish pie is not my first love. Nothing, but nothing comes close to a slice of NY style pizza in my book. Any (and every) visit home over the years has included a slice of "good pizza" regardless of how quick the trip. Here in New Jersey (which so many of you think is an extension of NY) we get great pizza at almost any local pizzeria. Only people not native to the area order from the chains. This evening my brother's family and I went to our family favorite - Avelino's on Rt. 28 in Dunellen. I've been a fan of Avelino's for years when they were located in Green Brook. This location has larger dining facilities and the same great pizza. The kids like eating there on Fridays since one of the lifeguards who works at the pool on my brother's staff is a waitress. Kimmy didn't even bother bringing menus, just confirmed what we were having (half pepperoni and half plain) and kept the soda glasses full.
Pretending like we like one another.


Luke took a picture of his slice while it cooled off.

1 comment:

Grace Whisperer said...

Totally have to comment on this one... I really miss my NJ pizza... Just not the same in upstate NY... And my hubbie? Not a fan of NJ pizza... Thank goodness I didn't find THAT out till after we were married!!! LOL... I'm salivating just looking at your pictures! :)