Saturday, March 20, 2010

It's Official!

At 1:32 pm the vernal equinox occurred and spring arrived! To commemorate the event, I literally visited my "happy place". I spent the day at Camp Lou Henry Hoover, and more specifically, at the waterfront where I was a swim counselor for 7 or 8 summers back in the day. Have you ever taken part in a spiritual mental exercise that asks you to imagine a peaceful and serene place, where you can think clearly and without distraction? In Christian circles, it is often used to imagine a conversation with Jesus. I know many people choose to go to beaches, tropical islands, resort destinations, and the like. Not me. I "go" to the waterfront at Hoover to talk to Jesus when I participate in these exercises. It's one of the places that I began to understand that God created me to be a teacher. Plus, I think there is nothing more relaxing to do in all the world (other than nap in a hammock) than float in an innertube during rest hour in the middle of the deep end. The water was a little chilly to support that activity today, but it was very special to reconnect with people and the place today. I saw some friends I haven't seen in more than 15 years and so proud of my one time camper Deb who is now the camp director. She has done a great job and it is evident she works at incorporating tradition even as the camp undergoes necessary changes for the contemporary GS camper.
It was Work Weekend at the camp, time to make sure everything is ready for the camping season ahead. I 'helped' with checking the condition of the sails that were rolled up all winter. This is a shot from the boathouse door where the staff would come out to meet their campers sitting on the knoll ready for their swim lessons and free swim.
In a couple of weeks the docks will go in the water and in another 3 months the water will be warm enough to enjoy for swimming. Hopefully I will get back here this summer when there are leaves on the trees and I can grab an innertube to be lazy for an afternoon.
On my way home, the GPS took me to a New Jersey landmark. Even though I was there a little after 5PM I wasn't hungry enough for a hotdog.
Besides, everybody and his brother had the idea to get outdoors and let someone else make dinner for them. The lines at Hot Dog Johnny's as well as every ice creamery I passed on the way home was daunting. The weather this week has been positively spring like - which, if you know much about Jersey, is not typical - and I think people were eager to take advantage of the gorgeous Saturday and celebrate the arrival of spring!

No comments: