Monday, March 15, 2010

Irish Soda Scones?

I was inspired by a comment my cousin Sandy made to me on Saturday to use my scone pan for traditional Irish soda bread. I think the scones will be easier to handle at the Lenten study I lead at church than a slab cut from a round loaf. I consulted my scone recipes, halved the recipe, changed the baking time and didn't bother brushing with egg yolk. Quite satisfied with the result so far - hope they will be a hit this evening as well.

Irish Soda Bread
4 C flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 C sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 C raisins
1 Tb. caraway seeds (optional)
1 1/2 C buttermilk
1 egg yolk, beaten

Mix dry ingredients, cut in butter. Add raisins and caraway seeds. Make a well in center of mixture and add buttermilk. Stir lightly till thoroughly blended. Knead for one minute on lightly floured surface. Shape into two circular loaves, put on greased cookie sheets or prepared pans. Cut a cross on top of both loaves. Brush with egg yolk. Bake at 350 for one hour. Loaf sounds hollow when tapped.

For scones:

Halve the ingredients. Follow instructions to shaping the loaf. Cut into eight wedges. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes or till golden brown. If using scone pan (like me dear sister-in-law gave me once upon a time years and years ago) just drop into pan wedges prior to kneading. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes and golden brown. Enjoy.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yummy!

Amie V said...

that's a great idea! i'll have to try that sometime...